In today’s home improvement blog, we’ll be answering the question: Is mold dangerous? Can mold cause you harm? Can it cause your home harm? And how can it be controlled? Let’s find out below!

The Answer

Yes! Mold can be dangerous to your home and your health. Mold that goes untreated can make you very sick, especially if you’re allergic to it. If you have allergies or asthma, then you can become sick from mold as well. Mold exposure will irritate your lungs, nose, skin, throat, and your eyes. While mold is dangerous and it can make you very sick, it can also harm your home. The major contributor to mold and mildew is moisture. This is where a basement waterproofing company can terminate the water problem, thus prevent the nuisant problems from moisture. As a basement waterproofing and foundation repair company, we’re here to educate and provide a solution on the dangerous of moisture and mold and how we can make your home into a healthy conditioned home.

How Mold Occurs

Mold isn’t just one type of substance. There are many different types of mold that come in many different shapes and sizes. It will produce in tiny spores that are similar to seeds. While these seeds are invisible to the naked eye, they do float through the air, which is what causes you to be sick. Indoor mold will grow on moist surfaces because it requires moisture as a food source.
When mold occurs in your home, it’s in damp and moist environments because that’s where it thrives.

Mold, Your Home, And Your Health

Mold can make its way into your home by a variety of ways as well, such as the air conditioning and heating systems. In addition, it can come into your home through doorways, vents, and windows. Mold will grow in places that are moist or on products that are moist, which can make its way all throughout your home especially in crawl spaces. From the paint to wooden products, if you don’t control the mold, then it’ll get into the depths of your home.

Due to these types of environments, your health will be affected as well as your home. People who are exposed to mold will have a stuffy nose, irritation in the throat, coughing, wheezing, skin irritation, and even eye irritation. You may mistake these symptoms for allergies, so be sure to talk to your doctor or have a professional check for mold growth.

Controlling Mold

When it comes to controlling the mold, you’ll want to make sure that any area of your home that’s flooded, such as the basement, is completely dry. You’ll also want to clean the area as well as fix leaky pipes, roofs, and windows. In addition, you should ventilate areas of your home that tend to get moist such as the kitchen, laundry room, and the bathroom. Mold is very serious and as a home improvement company, we stress that you have this taken care of as soon as possible.